Punjab, famously referred to as ‘The land of five rivers’, is situated in the north western part of India. This fertile land ranks amongst the most ancient civilizations in the world. Punjab is also famous for its religious diversity as it was here many religious movements were initiated. The scenic landscape, rich history and famous religious sites are the most important reasons for increasing number of visits by tourists. Here are the top 10 places to visit in Punjab.
1. Watch the flag lowering ceremony at Wagah Border
2. Relive the Jallianwala Bagh massacre by visiting this beautiful place
3 The holiest Sikh Gurudwara “The Golden Temple” and take a dip in its holy water.
4. The small village near Ludhiana, Kila Raipur. It is famous all around the world for hosting the rural Olympics in February.
5. You must visit “The City Beautiful”, Chandigarh. You cannot miss the sunset at Sukhna Lake, Nek Chand’s creations at the Rock Garden and the ever so beautiful the Rose Garden.
6. Virasat-e-Khalsa is a museum where you can live the rich history of Sikhs. Rs. 350 crore have been invested in this.
7. Ludhiana is the city of the First Sikh War. You can visit the Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum to get a look at weapons used and witness the history.
8. If you want to experience the culture of Punjab then Haveli-Rangla Punjab in Jalandhar is the right place for you.
9. Anandpur Sahib is known as the birth place of Khalsa. There are lots of significant Gurudwaras surrounded by beautiful locations.
10. Bhakra Nangal Dam is the largest dam in India with a height of 225 meters and secind largest dam in Asia. Pay a visit here to be awed by the beautiful place.
You feel part of the ancient world when you travel the length and breadth of Punjab. Even a couple of weeks in Punjab will not suffice to cover all the important destinations in the land of five rivers. Any mention of important tourist destination that I missed writing about is welcome.
Be sure to like us on facebook and twitter to see the stuff not available on the website.