Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, a Man whose name resonates through the rich history of India even today. And why not? He is the Father of the Nation! We all know Mahatama Gandhi as the man who showed us our way to freedom and independence but is that enough? Gandhiji’s life was much more than what came out in the broad daylight. 15 Things that we never knew about Mahatama Gandhi.
1. Gandhiji married when he was at the tender age of 13 to Kasturba who was 14 at the time.
2. He was fondly called as Moniya when he was a kid.
3. Mahatama Gandhi was nominated 5 times for the Nobel Peace Prize.
4. Gandhiji brought the Civil Rights Movement in 4 Continents and 12 Countries.
5. He was declared Man of the Year by Times Magazine in 1930.
6. Gandhiji’s Funeral Procession was 8 kilometers long.
7. Bapu walked about 18 Kilometers everyday during his lifetime which is equivalent to walking around the earth twice.
8. Gandhiji did not hold any official position in any political body during the last final years of his life.
9. Steve Jobs is a fan of Mahatama Gandhi. He wears round glasses as a tribute to Gandhiji.
10. Gandhiji spoke with an Irish accent as one of his teachers in England was an Irishman.
11. Gandhiji earned a whopping USD $15,000(counts to 9.25 lakhs today) during his years in South Africa as an attorney.
12. Gandhiji was born on a Friday, he died on a friday and what more, India got Independence on a Friday!
13. He had a really bad handwriting.
14. Gandhiji carried a set of false teeth hidden in the folds of his loin cloth(Dhoti) which he only took out for having meals.
15. There are almost 53 major roads in India (excluding the small ones) and 48 roads outside of India that are named after him.