BALASORE (Odisha): India’s desire of fully fledged multi-layer Ballistic Missile Defence system seems to be a reality now. An indigenously developed supersonic interceptor missile was successfully test fired at test range of Odisha yesterday.
“The test conducted to validate various parameters of the interceptor in flight mode has been successful,” Defence Research Development Organization sources said.
Interceptor engaged against the target, a naval version ‘Prithvi missile’ launched through ship anchoring Bay of Bengal, took trajectory of a hostile ballistic missile.
It was launched at about 11.15 hours. “The ‘kill’ effect of the interceptor was ascertained by analyzing data from multiple tracking sources,” a DRDO scientist said.
Qualities of the missile
- 7.5-meter long single stage solid rocket propelled guided missile
- Equipped with a navigation system,
- A hi-tech computer
- An electro-mechanical activator.
- The interceptor missile had its own mobile launcher
- Secures data link for interception,
- Independent tracking and homing capabilities
- Sophisticated radars
Even with the yearly brain storming by the world powers, India seems to gear up even with the limited brain resources.