18 children declared dead after excessive consumption of cough syrup manufactured in India: claims Uzbekistan’s Health Ministry

The Health Ministry of Uzbekistan on Tuesday mentioned in a report that around 18 children, who faced acute respiratory disease, have died after consumption of excessive doses of a cough syrup, Doc-1 Max, manufactured by and Indian pharma firm Marion Biotech.

The children consumed “excessive amounts” of the medicine which ethylene glycol, a substance that is not ought to be present in a cough syrup. This update have been released after a parliamentary panel which talked about the unwanted level of diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol in cough syrups which is manufactured by the Haryana-based Maiden Pharma. IN this case, around 63 children lost their lives dur to acute kidney injury.

India’s health ministry averred that they are “aware” of the report from Uzbekistan however chose not to comment.

“To date, 18 out of 21 children with acute respiratory disease have died as a result of taking Doc-1 Max syrup… It was found that deceased children took 2.5-5 ml of the drug at home for 2-7 days, 3-4 times a day, which exceeds the standard dose of the drug for children. All children were given the drug without a doctor’s prescription. Since the main component of the drug is paracetamol, Doc-1 Max syrup was incorrectly used as an anti-cold remedy on the recommendation of the pharmacy sellers and this was the reason for the deterioration of the condition of the patients… preliminary laboratory studies have shown that this series of Doc-1 Max syrup contains ethylene glycol. This substance is toxic and about 1-2 ml/kg of a 95% concentrated solution can cause serious changes in the patient’s health, such as vomiting, fainting, convulsions, cardiovascular problems and acute kidney failure.”

“Tablets and syrups of the drug Doc-1 Max are withdrawn from sale in all pharmacies of the country in a prescribed manner,” reads the statement of the Uzbekistan’s Health Ministry.