FIFA World Cup 2018 is all set to come with full excitement and enthusiasm. Russia is hosting the main event from 14 June to 15 July.
This will be the first World Cup held in Europe since the 2006 tournament in Germany, the first ever to be held in Eastern Europe and the eleventh time that it was held in Europe. Well, these are some things that you all are aware of. But today we have brought something to you that will blow your mind. Here are some lesser known yet weird facts about the world cup only a few people know.
1) No Sex
Did you know? Many of the coaches ban their team players from having sexual intercourse during the World Cup. The reason is it distracts the players and wastes their useful energy.
2) India was banned to play in 1950
It is rumored that India withdrew from the 1950 tournament as they were not allowed to play barefoot.
3) Nearly Half of the world’s population watch the World Cup
Almost 3.2 billion people worldwide, roughly 46% of the world’s population, watched 2010 World Cup. According to FIFA, this makes the tournament “the world’s most widely viewed sporting event.”
4) The first world cup and the first winner
The first World Cup was played in 1930. Uruguay was both the tournament host and winner that year.
5) World cup trophy once got missing
The World Cup trophy went missing for 7 days in the year 1966 when it was stolen just prior to the tournament.
6) World cup causes increased birth rates
This is actually very surprising to know that the world cup causes increased birth rates in the host countries, reportedly. Well, there are two fundamental reasons:
- The fun nature and excitement of the World Cup. Fun and exciting events tend to make people happier. When women are happy, it releases hormones that make it easier to get pregnant.
7) Indonesia has played only one world cup so far
Of all countries that have appeared in the World Cup, Indonesia has played the least number of matches – just one in 1938.
8) European and South Americans won all the world cups
All world cups have been won by European (11) and South American (9) countries.
9) The amazing fact about the coaches
Every World Cup has been won by a coach who is the same nationality as his team.
10) The smallest country to take part in World Cup
Iceland is the country with the smallest population to ever compete at a World Cup, with 334,000 residents.