Apple’s just-launched iOS 10 update got off to a rough start for some users. According to widespread complaints across social media, many iPhone and iPad users ran into installation problems. For some, the update process failed with a subsequent error message asking users to plug their iOS device into a PC or Mac for a complete restore of the operating system.
Here’s a step by step explanation for how to do that :
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
You can put your iOS device in recovery mode and then restore it with iTunes.
In these situations, you might need to use recovery mode to restore your device:
- iTunes doesn’t recognize your device or says it’s in recovery mode.
- You see the Apple logo on your screen for several minutes with no progress bar.
- You see the Connect to iTunes screen.
Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again
- Make sure that you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
- If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don’t have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
- While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps :
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don’t release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don’t release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.