Your bachelor degree is coming to an end. This is the time when students start getting worried about their future. Certain questions start erupting in their mind like:
What should I do next?
Should I go for higher studies?
Should I go abroad for further studies?
Should I sit for the government exams?
Should I apply for the job?
Students often get confused about their career options. Although you might have faced the similar situation after 12th standard, this situation is different. It is the deciding point of your career. You have to carefully decide your career path as your future depends on it. At the starting point of your bachelor course, you are generally not aware of the career choices. It is during the third year that you start getting aware of all the career choices after graduation. There are a large number of career opportunities waiting for you after you step out of college.
Here in this article, we are going to share some career options after completing B.Tech program.
- Higher Studies – The first option is to pursue higher education. Pursuing higher education will provide you with long-term benefits with more chances of getting a well-paid job. There are different options for higher studies out of which the main ones are discussed below:
1) M.Tech – If you want to excel in the field in which you did your B.Tech, then M.Tech(Master of Technology) is the best choice. It will provide you the opportunity to practically implement the knowledge that you have grabbed during the B.Tech course. In order to get admission in a good institute, you have to sit and qualify the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) exam. This exam is held annually to get admission into the M.Tech course in top engineering colleges in India.
In India, M.Tech is generally a two-year course. You can opt for a specialization in M.Tech. At the end of the M.Tech program, you have to submit a thesis which is generally a daunting task. Don’t worry about that, you will easily find a genuine help for the M.Tech thesis. You will be granted a degree only after successful submission of your thesis. The rejection rate of the M.Tech thesis is very high.
2) MBA – If you want to shift from the technical line to business side then go for MBA (Master of Business Management) program. Opting MBA after B.Tech is a hot career option these days. If you have an interest in business management and related areas then you think of choosing MBA as your career option. Just like M.Tech, an exam is conducted to get admission to top business colleges in India. This entrance exam is named CAT (Common Admission Test). You have to score a high percentile in order to get admission in the top management colleges. The competition is really tough. So, this is a good option after B.Tech.
- Sit in the campus placement drive – A lot of good companies visit reputed engineering institutes for campus placement drive to hire skilled engineers with good packages. This is the best option for you if you don’t have any plan for higher studies. In order to sit in the campus placement, you should fulfill the criteria laid down by the company. The general criteria are 60% throughout with no backlogs. Different rounds are conducted during the placement drive which includes aptitude, technical, group discussion, and interview round. You have to do exceptionally well in order to get selected during the placement drive.
- Prepare for the government exams – In India, many people have dreams of getting a government job. Every year various exams are conducted for different posts from the government sector including the toughest of all the Civil Service Exam. A written exam is conducted containing sections like numerical ability, reasoning, general English, and computer applications. After clearing the written round, you have to go through the interview to land at your dream job. For this thing, you have to do a lot of hard work as there is a lot of competition for government jobs. For a vacancy in a few posts, there are lakhs of applicants trying their luck.
- Study Abroad – After completing your bachelors, you can plan for higher education abroad. There is no doubt about the fact that foreign universities have better infrastructure and facilities. If you want to explore something new in an entirely different culture then going abroad for higher education is a good option for you. However, it is a costly affair. You have to shed loads of money in order to pursue higher education in top developed countries like USA, UK, Canada, and Australia. You can avail the scholarship or funding programs if you have a dream to study abroad. In order to get admission in got institutes abroad, you have to take and score well in exams like IELTS, GRE, and TOEFL. Think of this option only if you are financially sound.
- Start your own business venture (Entrepreneurship) – If you have a unique business idea you can think of starting your own business venture. You will be your own boss and free to use your ideas and creativity. Starting your own business is not an easy thing as there is a lot of risk factor involved in it. Only a few businesses are successful on the first try. There are a lot of challenges involved in it and should have a good financial support for investment. You will learn a lot of new things during this time.
These are some of the career opportunities available after B.Tech. It is up to you how you chase your dreams. You have to make the decisions carefully. Interact with your family, friends, seniors about your dreams. You should be aware of the latest trends in the market. Don’t blindly follow anyone like I will do what others are doing. It is you who have to make the decision which can change your life. Just follow your ambitions, there is a bright future waiting for you with open arms.