On Monday, West Indies’ flamboyant batsman Chris Gayle has denied exposing his genitals to a massage therapist in Australia during the 2015 cricket World Cup. In January last year, the accusations were made by Fairfax Media newspapers, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Canberra Times in a number of stories.
Here’s The Real Story
The 38-year-old cricketer said that the incident reported on never happened and was completely false. He also gave a statement when he appeared at a court in Sydney, having launched a defamation proceeding for $1 million. Bruce McClintock, Gayle’s barrister told the NSW Supreme Court that,
“They intended to blacken his name. They want to destroy him.”
Gayle himself said:
“It’s the most hurtful thing I’ve actually come across in my entire life. This is one case I have to fight. I want to clear my name.”
In their defence, media houses said: “During the training session, whilst the majority of players were on the field, Person A entered the players’ dressing room. The plaintiff and another West Indian cricketer, Dwayne Smith, were in the dressing room. The plaintiff was wrapped in a towel.”
They further added that the allegations are true and and in the public interest.