Sydney is the state capital of New South Wales and the most populous city in Australia and Oceania. Located on Australia’s east coast, the metropolis surrounds the world’s largest natural harbour, and sprawls towards the Blue Mountains to the west. Residents of Sydney are known as “Sydneysiders”. Sydney is the second official seat, and second official residence, of the Governor-General of Australia, the Prime Minister of Australia and the Cabinet of Australia.
Below are few facts which every one should know about this amazing place.
1) The Sydney Harbour Bridge is the widest long-span bridge and tallest steel arch bridge in the world, and the 5th longest spanning-arch bridge according to Guinness World Records.
2) It is the 12th most expensive city with property prices averaging USD8,717 per square meter.
3) The Sydney Mint built between 1811 and 1816 is the oldest public building in the Sydney Central Business District.
4) It is the capital of Australia’s ICT industry, with 76 per cent of Australia’s ICT regional headquarters and operating center located in NSW.
5) The Sydney Fish Market is the largest market of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere and the world’s 3rd largest fish market.
6) The cost of building the Sydney Opera House ended up at AUD102 million instead of the original estimate of AUD7 million.
7) The eastern suburbs enclave of Point Piper in Sydney is the 9th most expensive street in the world at AUD20,900 per square metre with median value of all houses at AUD7.38 million.
8) It has the deepest natural harbour in the world with 504,00 mega litres of water.
9) Oprah Winfrey’s Ultimate Australian Adventure show cost Sydney and Australia AUD5 million dollars.
10) It will need 770,000 additional homes or an extra 25,000 homes per year by 2036.
11) The smallest beach in Sydney is McKell Beach at Darling Point, accessible only by boat at low tide.
12) 60 percent of Australia’s top 100 companies are headquarters in Sydney.
13) Sydney’s famous annual Tulip Time Festival and home to the International Cricket Hall of Fame and Bradman Museum of Cricket is found in Bowral.
If you are planning for a vacation than Sydney can really be the right choice.