As widely-speculated Reliance Jio has taken its free data offer to March next year. The company’s chairman and managing director Mukesh Ambani made this announcement during a townhall on Thursday (December 1) attended by over 400 employees and partners. With this, the Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Jio Infocomm has further intensified the ongoing brutal price war in the telecom industry.
Wonder what as a consumer, it has changes for you ?
Here are the 6 things that have changed in Reliance Jio’s ‘free services’ plan :
1. Reliance Jio customers can now enjoy the full bouquet of company’s free services till the end of March next year (March 31, 2017).
2. The ‘Welcome Offer’ gets a new name — ‘Happy New Year Offer’. All those on the company’s ‘Welcome Offer’ will automatically be moved to ‘Happy New Year Offer’ on January 1, 2017.
3. Reliance Jio had earlier announced that its ‘Welcome Offer’ is valid for all users who enroll till December 3, 2016, this means that all those users who come on Jio network on December 4 or post that will have to wait till January 1 for the services to go live. In other words, they will be able to enroll for Jio’s ‘Happy New Year Offer’ and not the current ‘Welcome Offer’.
4. The company has gone a bit ‘stingy’ with its new plan. Under the ‘Happy New Year’ offer, the daily FUP limit for users has been brought down to 1GB from the current limit of 4GB.
5. The company will reduce speeds to 128kbps once a user exhausts his 1GB limit on the ‘Happy New Year’ plan.
Reliance chairman Ambani said that this was done as some users are misusing their free data privileges and clogging the network for others.
6. During his address, Ambani claimed that call drop rate is now down to 20% from the earlier 90%. He blamed rivals Airtel, Vodafone and Idea for the call drops being experienced by the company’s customers.
Ambiani also said that Jio now fully supports Mobile Number Portability (MNP). All customers can retain their existing number when they migrate to Jio. This, he said, is being progressively launched across India through MyJio and will be available in top 100 cities by December 31, 2016.