Lionel Messi topped the Forbes list for the second time in 2022 (first in 2019).
He earned USD 130 million during the last 12 months ending May 1, 2022. Although Messi’s salary has come down in recent days, a huge increase in advertising has propelled him to the top of the list. Messi earned USD 75 million through salary and USD 55 million through advertising.
Who is in the second and third place on the Forbes list?
Basketball player LeBron James is in the second position with earnings of US$ 121.2 million.
Third Highest-Paid Athlete
Cristiano Ronaldo is in the third position with earnings of USD 115 million.
Who are the other top ten paid athletes on the Forbes list?
- Neymar (football, US$95 million)
- Stephen Curry (basketball, US$92.8 million)
- Kevin Durant (basketball, US$92.1 million)
- Roger Federer (tennis, US$90.7 million)
- Canelo Alvarez (boxing, US$90 million)
- Tom Brady (Football, $83.9 million)
- Giannis Antenecumpo (basketball, $80.9 million)