The man behind the Melbourne car rampage who is now arrested was free on bail when he used a car as a weapon taking four lives and leaving 15 others injured during minutes of CBD carnage.
Four more people who suffered horrific injuries are fighting for their lives in the cool-blooded murder spree.
Victims among the school holiday crowds in the city stood no chance as the stolen Holden Commodore mowed down anyone in the way.
The mayhem was brought to an end when Dimitrious Gargasoulas, 26, was shot in the arm by police.
He remains under police guard in St Vincent’s Hospital as homicide squad detectives head a major inquiry into the tragedy.
Mr Gargasoulas had been wanted over the stabbing of his brother, Angelo, at their mother’s Windsor home at 2.15am.
It is unclear what happened in the 11 hours after the stabbing, some of which was spent with a female hostage.
Mr Gargasoulas allegedly disrupted a television journalist’s report at the scene of the stabbing, parking in the background in the stolen car.
Days before the alleged rampage, an ominous post on Mr Gargasoulas’s Facebook page said:
I’LL TAKE YOU ALL OUT … YOU NEED AN ARMY TO TAKE ME.
Witnesses have placed the Commodore at South Melbourne, Docklands and Yarraville.
At one stage in Yarraville, Mr Gargasoulas is alleged to have shouted: “Armageddon is coming. The end of the world’s going to come today. Watch the news.”
Mr Gargasoulas is believed to have spent about two hours in the western suburbs before heading back to the city where stunned onlookers witnessed him performing burnouts outside Flinders St railway station at 1.30pm.
He hung out of the car window, shouting and pointing at bystanders.
The red sedan then went north on to Swanston St before turning west into the Bourke St Mall and ploughing into victims all the way to the incident’s climax at Queen St.
Former Victoria Police chief commissioner Christine Nixon said she rushed to an upside-down stroller after narrowly escaping the Commodore.
The Pagalparrot understands he was freed by a bail justice last Saturday, despite the opposition of police, over an alleged assault on his mother’s partner.
Mr Ashton said those killed were a child and a man and woman, aged in their 30s, and that the death toll may rise.