WHAT EXACTLY DENGUE IS?
- It is a viral disease.
- It is transmitted by the bite of mosquito namely “Aedes”.
- The wired thing about this mosquito is it bites in day time.
- Dengue gets developed in 5-6 days after being bitten by an infective mosquito.
- It has been classified into two categories, these are ;
a)Dengue Fever (DF) Dengue
b) Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF)
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS IF YOU GET EFFECTED:
- High fever.
- Severe headache.
- Pain behind the eyes which worsens with eye movement.
- Muscle & joint pains.
- Loss of sense of taste & appetite.
- Measles like rash over the chest & upper limbs.
AGE GROUP & SEX AFFECTED:
- All age groups & both sex are affected.
- Deaths occur more in children.
TRANSMISSION FROM ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER:
- When the mosquito bites a person with Dengue fever, it picks up the germs of the disease along with the blood.
- This germ known as dengue virus develops within the mosquito in a few days.
- When this mosquito again bites a healthy person, it introduces the germs into the blood.
- After a few days the person becomes sick with high fever and other symptoms of dengue.
- Aedes mosquito breed in any type of manmade containers or water storage containers even having small quality of water like desert coolers, water storage containers, tyres, overhead tanks, drums, jar, buckets, flower vases, plant saucers, tanks, bottles, tin, roof gutters, refrigerator drip pans, cement blocks, cemetery urns, bamboo stumps, tree holes and many more places where rain water collects or is stored.
- Eggs of mosquito can live without water for more than 1year.
PREVENTIVE & CONTROL MEASURES:
- All water storage containers should be covered.
- Re-fill storage utensils, water coolers, flower vases, water vessels for birds and animals, fridge trays at least once a week.
- Fill up the ditches and other unwanted water collection sites around the houses.
- Put insecticides, petrol, k. oil, in coolers, containers etc once a week, which cannot be emptied or cleaned.
- Introduce Larvivorous fish in stagnant water bodies. It eats up the larva and keeps water clean
PERSONAL PROTECTION MEASURES:
- Wear clothes covering whole body during day.
- Insecticide treated mosquito nets are more effective as they kill mosquitoes as well as other bugs and insects.
- Usage of mosquito repellent lotion, creams like good-knight, odomos etc.
Stay safe, stay healthy, this is Jasmeet signing off, damn!!! a mosquito just bit me i am serious 🙁