Today, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is visting Amritsar where he has a meeting with Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh. Since 2003, all the Canadian PMs have visited Amritsar during their trips to India.
Punjab Is More Important To Canada Than New Delhi
- 5 lakh Sikhs are living in Canada.
- Sikhs comprise 1.5 percent of the total population of Canada.
- In India, the Sikhs are 1.72 of the country’s population.
- Justin Trudeau has more Sikhs in his cabinet than his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi does.
- Moreover, Canada’s New Democratic Party chief Jagmeet Singh, a Sikh-Canadian, is also seen as the contender for the Left party to defeat Justin Trudeau.
- According to a survey, 69 percent of Canadians would consider voting for a party led by a Sikh man.
Justin apologised in the Canadian Parliament for the Komagata Maru incident
Two years back, while registering apology, Justin said: “This year, we mark the 102nd anniversary of Komagata Maru incident. The passengers of the ship, like the millions of immigrants to Canada since, were seeking refuge and a better life for their families. With so much to contribute to their new home, which was Canada, and we failed them utterly.”