Marilyn Monroe is very well known for her beauty and still is a fashion icon for many across the globe. She was born on June 1, 1926 in Los Angeles, California and her real name was Norma Jeane Mortenson. During her career, Monroe’s films grossed more than $200 million. With her breathy voice and hourglass figure, Monroe became a much-admired international star. She also had chronic insecurities regarding her acting abilities and that is why she suffered from pre-performance anxiety. This anxiety sometimes made her physically ill which often resulted in making her co-stars and crew angry. “She would be the greatest if she ran like a watch,” director Billy Wilder once said of her. Alas! Monroe died of a drug overdose on August 5, 1962, at only 36 years old.
She lived for a short time period but married three different men:
- Her highschool lover: James Dougherty
- Yankees Baseball star: Joe DiMaggio
- Famous Play writer: Arthur Miller
image source: harper bazaar
Lesser known facts about Marilyn Monroe:
- There are nearly 13,000 products on Amazon which have Monroe’s name on them.
- Even after 50 years of her death, Monroe is on the cover of the most recent edition of Vanity Fair.
- Monroe is the most written about women in our history
- Though she was not at all a serious actress when it came to acting.
- Her first marriage was arranged.
- Monroe was her mother’s maiden name.
- She was highly attracted to intelligent men.
- She was not at all a good cook.
- She had a hard time memorizing lines.