Another Scam of AgustaWestland VVIP Choppers during the Congress led UPA Government is again in the Discussions, because of recent Verdict of Italian Court on the issue. Here’s the list the list of recent developments happens in the issue.
- BJP’s Subramanian Swamy, who became a Rajya Sabha member yesterday , has served Notice for a debate on the chopper deal.
- The scam has made a comeback in Parliament after the Italian court’s order reportedly accused the UPA government of not sharing critical documents with investigators.
- The order says there is “reasonable belief” that corruption took place in India’s deal in 2010 with Italy-based defence manufacturer Finmeccannica for 12 choppers to be used by top leaders including the prime minister.
- In the detailed ruling by Italian Court, which includes letters naming Congress president Sonia Gandhi and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh but does not give proof of any wrongdoing by them.
- A March 2008 letter from the main middleman in the scandal, Christian Michel, to Peter Hulet, the India head of AgustaWestland, describes “Signora Gandhi” as “the driving force behind VIP helicopters”.
- Manmohan Singh is mentioned in a 2013 letter by Guiseppe Orsi, former Agusta CEO, from jail. The letter said that the Italian PM or a senior diplomat should call the former PM.
- The ruling BJP, which has been under attack over controversies linked to Uttarakhand and foreign policy, discussed its Parliament strategy on the chopper scam on Tuesday at a weekly meeting of lawmakers attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- On Monday, Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi were in the Lok Sabha when the BJP raised demands for a probe. “We want a discussion in this House and the Defense Minister should answer the questions that have been raised,” said BJP lawmaker Meenakshi Lekhi.
- Former Defence Minister AK Antony of the Congress said: “We ordered an inquiry and cancelled the contract. If the BJP government is so keen, they should expedite the CBI inquiry we ordered.”
- Two Officials from Finmeccanica were jailed for corruption as Italy investigated the scam.
Now the question raises on the Investigation agencies that If Italian Agencies can probe in into this case twice in two years. Why can’t Indian Agencies do so ? Isn’t there any political pressure on the Agencies ?