Shreyas Iyer is the new cricket sensation who currently captains Indian Premier League team Delhi Capitals. He is a right-handed top-order batsman. For Indian national cricket team, Iyer has played One Day Internationals and Twenty20 Internationals. he played for India in 2014, Under-19 world cup. In domestic cricket, he plays for Mumbai.
Shreyas was born on 6 December 1994 in Mumbai, Maharastra. His ancestors were from Kerela who later moved to Mumbai. His father’s name is Santosh Iyer who is a businessman whereas his mother is Rohini Iyer. Shreyas also has a sister.
When Shreyas was 12, he was spotted by coach Pravin Amre at the Shivaji Park Gymkhana who trained him in his early cricketing days. His teammates often used to compare him with Virendra Sehwag.
Shreyas did his schooling from Don Bosco High School, Mumbai. He did his graduation from Podar College in Mumbai. He played an important role in making his college team win various trophies.
Shreyas was born on 6 December 1994 in Mumbai, India and as of today, he is 24 years old.
In 2014 Iyer represented Trent Bridge Cricket Team during a trip of the U.K., he played three matches scoring 297 runs at an average of 99 with the highest score of 171, a new team record. Some achievements he gained in his career are as follows:
- In 2015-16 Ranji trophy Shreyas emerged as a star. he became the top scorer by scoring 1,321 runs at an average of 73.39.
- He appointed as vice-captain of Mumbai team in Vijay Hazare trophy in 2018-19.
- Shreyas became captain of India B’s squad in Deodhar trophy 2018-19.
Entry in IPL
Delhi based club Delhi daredevils which is now Delhi Capitals purchased him for whopping Rs 2.6 crore. He became the highest-earning uncapped player of 2015.
Entry in National Team
He made his debut in the national team in 2017. He played his first T20 match against New Zealand. He played his first ODI against Sri Lanka following the same year.
- Shreyas is an animal lover.
- His junior and age-group cricket journey has been documented in the short-film title ‘Shreyas Iyer Documentary – A Father’s Dream’ directed by cricket writer Aayush Puthran.
- During day time he loves to watch travel shows and he prefers watching comedy shows before going to bed.
- He loves photography and Electronic Dance Music
- Even being half Tamilian and half Mangalorean, he can’t speak either of the languages.
- He got IPL Emerging Player of The Year Award in 2015.
- For being a top scorer in Ranji Trophy he got SV Rajadyaksha Trophy in 2016.
- Shreyas also awarded CEAT Cricket Rating Indian Domestic Cricketer of The Year award.