The film “The Mask” was one of the most striking roles of Jim Carrey, that people still remember. It was also the debut of Cameron Diaz that has revolutionary special effects. Probably, many of you watched this comedy that has become a classic, but not everyone knows the facts about it.
Here are some facts about the film
1. The film begins with a prologue showing the arrival of a Viking ship in the 11th century to future North America. The Vikings land on the shore, bury the chest with the mask of the god Loki and leave. In the film, Loki is called the “god of evil”, which he is not. Nevertheless, the character of Loki is conveyed quite correctly. In Scandinavian mythology, his characteristic features are duplicity, resourcefulness, cunning, and deceit.
2. Director Chuck Russell said that the Mask project was originally started as a rather hard horror film based on a comic book of the same name. But later transformed into a comedy that became a benefit for Jim Carrey. The hero of the film was a big fan of cartoons. Therefore, it was decided that becoming a Mask, the hero would portray various cartoon characters. As a result, such famous Warner Bros. characters as the Tasmanian Devil, Bugs Bunny, and Pepe Le Pew were beaten, as well as the Wolf from the Tex Avery cartoons, whose behavior the Mask copies during Tina’s performance.
3. For Cameron Diaz, the role of Tina Carlisle became her debut. She had to audition 12 times. And the future comedy star was approved for the role just seven days before filming began. Before her, they wanted to invite Anna Nicole Smith for this role – at that time almost as unknown, but “promising” blonde.
4. The scene in which The Mask runs away from the gangsters chasing him and takes out a used condom from his pocket with the words “Oops, the wrong pocket” was improvised by the actor. And also The Coco Bongo nightclub Musk goes to is actually the name of a Jim Carrey club in Cancun, Mexico
5. The bright yellow suit worn by Jim Carrey’s character was prepared by the dressers at the actor’s request. So Jim wanted to pay tribute to his mother, who made a similar costume for his first performance as a stand-up comedian.
Also, read People Who Died On A Movie Set