South Africa’s World Cup Qualifications in jeopardy

Cricket Australia stated on Wednesday that South Africa have left their ODI portion of the Australia tour (July 13). The three-match Test series was to be followed by an ODI series, which was scheduled to take place from January 12 to January 17 of the following year.

According to Cricbuzz, CSA had asked to change the dates of the ODI games last month, but because to a jam-packed international calendar, there was no time to reschedule. By pulling out of the series, the South African board has decided to award Australia the points from the three-match ODI series that was supposed to be a part of the current season of the ICC Super League, which has a May 2019 cutoff date.

South Africa’s chances of earning a direct qualification for the 50-over World Cup in India in 2023 are likely to be seriously harmed by the decision.

“It is disappointing that Cricket South Africa will be unable to contest the ODI series in January, Nick Hockley,” Cricket Australia’s CEO, said in a statement. “That said, we are delighted to be hosting South Africa for the three-Test series which includes the Boxing Day and New Year’s Tests and with the comprehensive schedule of international cricket that will take place across Australia throughout the summer.”

“This will include the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup and a record six touring teams for the Men’s and Women’s international series as well as the twelfth season of the BBL and the eighth season of the WBBL. We can’t wait to see fans back at the cricket this summer.”

In response to Cricket Australia’s statement, CSA Chief Executive Officer, Pholetsi Moseki said, “CSA is always keen on honouring its bilateral commitments. While CSA is committed to honouring its fixtures in respect of the Future Tours Programme there will sometimes be unforeseen circumstances that would negate this resolve.