India lost its powerful leader as former union external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj passed away on Tuesday. Her health condition started deteriorating in the evening and she was taken to the hospital. She was admitted to AIIMS. As per reports, Swaraj’s Senior ministers also rushed to the hospital. She died due to cardiac arrest and will be cremated on Wednesday at Lodhi road crematorium with full state honours.
It seemed that she saw her last wish getting fulfilled in front of her eyes. As after the Lok Sabha passed J&K Reorganisation Bill, Swaraj thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying that she was waiting to see this day in her lifetime. She wrote on Twitter, “@narendramodi ji – Thank you Prime Minister. Thank you very much. I was waiting to see this day in my lifetime.”
Well, we all know Sushma Swaraj as a powerful political leader but only a few people know about her personal life facts. Read them out below:
1) She was born as Sushma Sharma on Valentines Day February 14, 1953, in Ambala Cantonment. Her father Hardev Sharma was a prominent Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh member and her mother Shrimati Laxmi Devi was a housewife.
2) After the partition, her parents moved from Dharampura area of Lahore, Pakistan to India.
3) She did her schooling from Sanatan Dharma College in Ambala Cantonment and earned a bachelor’s degree with majors in Sanskrit and Political Science. She was also an NCC cadet.
4) Then she pursued law at Punjab University, Chandigarh. She won the best Hindi Speaker award for three consecutive years organized in the state-level competition held by the Language Department of Haryana.
5) In the year 1973, she started practising as a Supreme Court lawyer.
6) Sushma Swaraj met her husband Swaraj Kaushal during their college days and later as lawyers practising in Supreme Court. They went on to enjoy 44 years of marriage. The couple got married on 13 July 1975 during the times of the Emergency.
7) She opted her husband Swaraj’s first name as her last name and became Sushma Swaraj.
8) In the 1970s, she began her political career with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. Her husband, Swaraj Kaushal, was closely associated with the socialist leader George Fernandes and Sushma Swaraj became a part of George Fernandes’s legal defence team in 1975.
9) Sushma Swaraj and Swaraj Kaushal have a daughter together named Bansuri Swaraj. Bansuri is a graduate of Oxford University and a Barrister at Law from Inner Temple.
10) In 1977, she became the youngest ever Cabinet Minister in the Government of Haryana at age 25. Also, she was the first female Spokesperson of a national political party in India.