Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaenge a.k.a DDLJ as it has been popularly known has actually stayed in the heart of every Indian for a very long time. The movie recently ran its last show at the maratha mandir, Mumbai. The movie has been running in theaters for a period of twenty years a row.
Here are some facts-snippets we discovered in the process of re-discovering Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaenge. So let’s fall in love again and on our way learn a few new things too!!
1. Did you know Hollywood hottie Tom Cruise was actually considered seriously for SRK’s role of Raj Malhotra in the movie? Imagine the poor thing, playing mandolin and dancing in the mustard fields!
2. Another consideration for the role of Raj Malhotra was Saif Ali Khan but fortunately he turned the offer down. It would have been pretty different seeing chotte nawab romancing Kajol!!
3. Another movie with the same name Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaenge was made in 1980 staring Beena Banerjee and Desh Gautam but its way more famous 1995 namesake wiped out its existence.
4. Amir Khan’s absence from award functions has also so far been contributed to DDLJ, since SRK got the BEST ACTOR award for the movie for Amir thought his performance in Rangeela was way better. Amir has not been attending award functions ever since.
5. The title of the movie was Kirron Kher’s suggestion.
6. DDLJ was the launchpad for Stroh’s- the beer in India. Following the mention of Stroh’s in the film the makers launched it in India.
7. In the film, Kajol and SRK bump into each other at the King’s Cross Station. That was in 1995. In 2001, JK Rowling reimmortalised The King’s Cross through Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s stone. Platform 9 3/4 is where Harry’s journey begins. Read this carefully, Potterheads!!
8. And of course DDLJ is the longest running film in the history of Indian Cinema. Twenty years and counting- it’s got a week long extension in Maratha Mandir yet again.
*sigh* We love you Raj and Simran!