Recently, a website, “Scientific Research” published a journal under the title, “One-Hour Contact with the Earth’s Surface (Grounding) Improves Inflammation and Blood Flow―A Randomized, Double-Blind, Pilot Study,” in which they had shown two images of facial circulation of blood (one shown improvement) after 20 minutes of grounding or earthing. The images were documented by a Speckle Contrast Laser Imager (dark blue=lowest circulation; dark red=highest circulation).
What Is Grounding Or Earthing?
As we all grounding or earthing refers to placing your feet directly on the ground without shoes or socks or any kind of barrier between earth and your feet. Actually, earth carries a negative charge which is electron rich serving as a good supply of antioxidants and free-radical destroying electrons.
Dr James Oschman, a PhD in biology from the University of Pittsburgh reported:
“Walking barefoot on the Earth enhances health and provides feelings of well-being can be found in the literature and practices of diverse cultures from around the world.”
“For a variety of reasons, many individuals are reluctant to walk outside barefoot, unless they are on holiday at the beach. Experience and measurements show that sustained contact with the Earth yields sustained benefits.”
Benefits of Grounding
- Normalize the day-night cortisol rhythm.
- Improve sleep.
- Increase heart rate variability.
- Shift the autonomic nervous system from sympathetic toward parasympathetic activation.
- Reduce blood viscosity.
- Speed wound healing.
Now let’s elaborate some of the important points:
Effects On Sleep
A summary has been published in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health. The study determined the effects of grounding on sleep and circadian cortisol profiles. The results are recorded as:
- Produce changes in sleep, pain, and stress (anxiety, depression, and irritability), as measured by subjective reporting.
- Yields quantifiable changes in diurnal or circadian cortisol secretion levels that, in turn.
- Prolonged chronic stress results in glucocorticoid receptor resistance.
Effects On Pain And The Immune Response
In simple words, grounding the human body significantly alters the inflammatory response to an injury.